How to talk to your gig worker:
Introduce yourself, say that you are a supporter of the Gig Workers United Campaign
- Strike up a conversation: ‘How has your shift been?’; ‘What’s the lowest order you’ve ever accepted?’;
‘Have you noticed the pay has gone down?’; ‘Do you ever worry about getting injured?’
- If they haven’t heard of the campaign, you can say something like ‘your fellow gig workers are
organizing a union to win transparent pay and livable wages, health and safety protections, and workers
rights from apps. I’m a customer and I’m really excited about it!’ Tell them why!
- If they are in a rush (time=money for gig workers), make sure to grab their contact info
and give them the flyer
- If they are anti-union: that’s ok, don’t dismiss it. Ask if they have any issues with their work, and
if so how would they want to make it better? (Please don’t engage in a fight)
- Thank them and wish them well
on their shift!
Enjoy your delivery! Thanks so much for your support!